The Best Meatball Sub Ever
- 6-8 slices of Galbani Sliced Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/2 cup Galbani Shredded Parmesan Cheese (plus 1 Tbsp. for topping)
- 1 1/2 lbs. Ground Beef (80/20)
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced (plus 1 tsp. for topping)
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp. Italian Flat Leaf Parsley, chopped
- Salt and Pepper
- 3/4 cup Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs
- 1/4 cup Warm Water
- 1 jar Marinara (warm up 2 cups of marinara and set aside)
- 1 loaf Batard or Baguette-style Bread about 18” long
- 1/4 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 2 fresh Basil Leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil (plus ½ cup for topping)
- Meatballs: Combine beef, garlic, eggs, cheese, parsley and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Blend in bread crumbs. Mix together. Add water slowly, for extra moisture.
- Shape into meatballs. About 2 inches in diameter each.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet and add meatballs.
- Brown the sides and then reduce heat to low. Cover and let the meatballs cook thoroughly.
- Meanwhile, prepare olive oil topping by combining the topping ingredients; olive oil, garlic, parmesan cheese, kosher salt and freshly chopped basil. Set aside.
- Assembling the sub: use a cutting board to vertically slice the bread into 6” portions, not horizontally.
- Carefully, with your fingers remove the inside of the bread, hollowing out the 6” section.
- Start by putting a Tbsp. or more of marinara sauce inside the hollowed bread. Making sure that every side is covered.
- Next, lay down a couple of slices of cheese; overlapping them. Put 2 meatballs on the cheese. Roll the meatballs up in the cheese.
- Place into the hollowed-out section of the bread. Do this for all the sections.
- Line a baking sheet with a piece of aluminum foil. Carefully put the stuffed bread onto the foil and baking sheet, placing all sections back together, resembling a whole sub.
- Drizzle with the prepared olive oil/cheese topping. Wrap the sub in the aluminum foil.