Escarole Chicken with Tomato Jam
- 4 Slices of Galbani® Thick Sliced Cheese – Asiago, Provolone or Mozzarella
- 4- 4 oz. boneless chicken breasts
- 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 package of fresh chopped escarole or 1 head of escarole, hand chopped
- 2 cups of thin sliced button or white mushrooms
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1 cup of olive oil – 1/4 cup to coat chicken and 3/4 cup to sauté mushrooms
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- To make the tomato jam: bring tomatoes and brown sugar to a boil in a small sauce pan.
- Reduce heat and simmer a few more minutes until it thickens and then set aside to cool down.
- Fill a medium pot 1/2 full with water and bring to a boil. Blanch the escarole, by cooking it for 3-4 minutes and strain.
- Add garlic, salt and pepper to escarole and set aside.
- In a separate skillet, sauté the mushrooms in oil and wine until they become soft.
- To cook the chicken breasts, coat both sides with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill chicken on a hot grill or grill pan to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Once cooked, top each chicken breast with escarole, mushrooms, tomato Jam and a thick slice of cheese.
- Cover to melt and serve warm.